Can We Marry While Parents Are Away?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Family > Can We Marry While Parents Are Away?

Can We Marry While Parents Are Away?

Careem

Feb 22, 2019

Question

As-salamu alaykum. I am 26 years old I want to get married to a girl who is 23 years old. But her parents are away for a while but they agree to our marriage. What should I do? Can we marry while they are away?

Answer

Can We Marry While Parents Are Away?

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

If the parents have consented to the marriage, you should request them to delegate someone else as their wakil or representative.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

If the parents have consented to the marriage, you should request them to delegate someone else as their wakil or representative. Once they do so, you have no objection in taking the steps towards solemnizing the marriage. This is the best option.

Alternatively, you can also go ahead with the marriage if her parents unequivocally tell both of you in writing or in the presence of two witnesses that they would allow you to get married in their absence.

Source: www.askthescholar.com