Can I Marry Christian Girl Intending to Convert?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Family > Can I Marry Christian Girl Intending to Convert?

Anonymous

Mar 06, 2017

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I liked a Christian girl and wanted to marry her. She was studying the Qur’an and before she was ready to convert but later she decided not to, and said that would be after marriage. If she found Islam is a true religion, then she will convert. Please, tell now can I marry her or not?

Answer

Christian Girl

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

Dear brother, thank you for your question that shows your interest to be stick to Islam’s rulings in your prospective marital life.

Generally speaking, a Muslim man can marry a Christian girl as long as she is chaste. It may also be a good chance for helping her to convert and become a good Muslim woman.

Responding to your question, Dr. Muhammad Salama, PhD in Islamic Studies in English and an Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Islamic Science, Al-Madinah International University, states:

If she is a chaste woman, then you may marry her as it is lawful for Muslims to marry chaste Christian women. Actually, this is a good chance for you to help her to become a Muslim.

Her chastity is a condition as mentioned in the Qur’an, “Moreover, [lawful for you in matrimony are] chaste women from among the believers and chaste women from among those who have been given the Scripture before you- provided you have given them their [full dowry] compensation in marriage- not to commit fornication, nor to take them as lovers.”(Al-Ma’idah 5:5)

About Dr. Muhammad Salama

Dr. Muhammad Salama, PhD, Islamic Studies in English, Associate Professor at the Faculty of Islamic Sciences al-Madinah International University (Mediu)