Making Duaa from the Qur'an During Sujud: OK?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Dhikr & Supplication > Making Duaa from the Qur’an During Sujud: OK?

Making Duaa from the Qur’an During Sujud: OK?

Sarah

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. My question is: Can we make du`a’ in sujud (prostration) by reciting any ayah from the Qur’an? I mean: Is it permissible to recite any verse of Qur’an while we are in sujud? We know that a person is closest to Allah when he is in sujud and the best du`a’ is taught by Allah. But I have heard that it is not permissible to recite any ayah in the sujud. Is it also in case of the ayah of supplication? Please, can you make it clear for me? Thank you.

Answer

Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

In sujud, a Muslim is recommended to make duaa  to Allah Almighty. One may say duaa that is based on Qur’anic verses or prophetic hadiths.

Answering your question, Dr. Wael Shihab, PhD  in Islamic Studies from Al-Azhar University and currently the Imam of the Downtown Toronto Masjid in Canada, states:

A Muslim is recommended to make duaa in good times and situations where duaa will be mostly answered by Almighty Allah. Among the good times for duaa are while in sujud,  before the Fajr time, when it rains, at the time of breaking one’s fasting, etc.

A Muslim may make duaa in his or her sujud by saying words, phrases, or sentences from the Qur’anic verses that imply duaa. For instance, one may say in his duaa the following Qur’anic supplications:

“Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget, or miss the mark! Our Lord! Lay not on us such a burden as Thou didst lay on those before us! Our Lord! Impose not on us that which we have not the strength to bear! Pardon us, absolve us and have mercy on us, Thou, our Protector, and give us victory over the disbelieving folk.” (Al-Baqarah 2:286)

“Our Lord! Vouchsafe us comfort of our wives and of our offspring, and make us patterns for (all) those who ward off (evil).” (Al-Furqan 25:74)

It is noteworthy that answering one’s duaa depends on many factors such as one’s closeness to Allah, earning halal (lawful) livelihood, choosing good times for making duaa such as duaa in the sujud and before the Fajr time, and adhering to good manners of making duaa such as starting one’s duaa with praising Allah and sending peace and blessings to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and closing one’s duaa with the same.

Moreover, you need to know that the response to one’s duaa may take one of the following forms:

1. To get what you ask for,
2. To be protected against an evil that would befall you if you don’t make such duaa, or
3. To be delayed to the Hereafter when you receive rewards from Allah for your duaa.

So, never lose hope in gaining Allah’s blessings and favors through making duaa, which is a form of worship in itself. In shaa’ Allah, you may get what you ask for, you may be protected against some evils, or/and you may get the reward for your duaa itself in the Hereafter.

About Dr. Wael Shehab

Dr. Wael Shehab has a PhD in Islamic Studies from Al-Azhar University. He is currently the Imam of the Downtown Toronto Masjid in Canada.