Making Calls Using Cell Phone in the Toilet: OK?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Common Mistakes > Making Calls Using Cell Phone in the Toilet: OK?

Nasra

Apr 02, 2019

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. Is it permissible in Islam to make a call using the cell phone in the bathroom?

Answer

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

1- It is known that there are some Islamic etiquette a Muslim should consider when entering or going out from, and while being in the bathroom.

2- The majority of scholars say that it is makruh (disliked) to, unnecessarily, speak in the bathroom/toilet.

Answering your question, Dr. Wael Shehab, PhD in Islamic Studies from Al-Azhar University and currently the Imam of the Downtown Toronto Masjid in Canada, states:

In fact, there are some ethics that a Muslim is recommended to apply when entering, going out from, or/and while in the toilet.

For example, one is recommended when entering the toilet to say,

“Allahumma inni a`udhu bika min al-khubthi wal-khaba’ith”

“O Allah, I seek refuge with You from male and female devils.”

And, when leaving the toilet, he should say,

Ghufranak (I seek Your forgiveness).”

Moreover, the majority of scholars say that it is makruh (disliked) to, unnecessarily, speak in the bathroom/toilet.

About Dr. Wael Shehab

Dr. Wael Shehab has a PhD in Islamic Studies from Al-Azhar University. He is currently the Imam of the Downtown Toronto Masjid in Canada.