Can a Child Lead His Mother in Prayer?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Can a Child Lead His Mother in Prayer?

Can a Child Lead His Mother in Prayer?

Haya

Sep 19, 2018

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. When my husband is out and it is me and children at home, who should lead prayer; I or my oldest son? He’s 7, but knows how to pray properly.

Answer

Prayer

Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

Your seven-year-old child can lead you and your younger kids in prayer as long as he knows well how to pray and recite the Qur’an.

Answering your question, Dr. Wael Shehab, PhD in Islamic Studies from Al-Azhar University and currently the Imam of the Downtown Toronto Masjid in Canada, states:

A boy, who knows well how to pray, can lead others in congregational prayers. This is because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “People should be led in prayer by the one who knows the most Qur’an among them.” (Muslim)

Also, Amr ibn Salamah al-Jarami said, “My father came from the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and said that he had heard the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) saying, “When the time for prayer comes, let the one among you who knows the most Qur’an lead you in prayer.” They looked and they did not find anyone who knew more Qur’an than me, so they made me lead them in prayer, and I was a boy of six or seven years.” (Al-Bukhari)

Given the above, if your son has reached the age of discernment and knows how to offer the prayers, then he should lead you in the prayer.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.

About Dr. Wael Shehab

Dr. Wael Shehab has a PhD in Islamic Studies from Al-Azhar University. He is currently the Imam of the Downtown Toronto Masjid in Canada.