Earning Money by Selling Pictures Online: Permissible?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Arts & Entertainment > Earning Money by Selling Pictures Online: Permissible?

Jumana

Aug 10, 2018

Question

I like taking pictures. They are usually landscapes. There are many websites that display photos and gives certain amount to the photographer for every download of his image. Is the money that the photographer gets halal? I wanted to make some money out of the photos I take. So is it permissible?

Answer

Earning Money by Selling Pictures Online

There is nothing wrong with earning money by selling pictures online.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

Photography today is a medium of communication. So, if you are a professional photographer and you want to sell what you produce, there is nothing un-Islamic about it.

You are merely earning your living through honest work – provided, of course, the pictures are in no way lewd or promoting vices or encouraging nudity.

So, if you are taking pictures of nature and landscapes, there is nothing questionable about it.