Whispers about Passing Wind: How to Overcome?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Acts of Worship > Whispers about Passing Wind: How to Overcome?

Salim

Jan 16, 2017

Question

As-Salamu alaykum. I love Allah and love Muhammad (peace be upon him) and love the Qur'an and love prayer. What is the ruling if I passed gas in a room and that room contained a Mushaf? It was on the bed and I was on the window and it was on my right. I swear in my intention I did not mean any insult, may Allah protect us, but after the wind was passed I thought to myself this could be disbelief because I am plagued with whispers.

Answer

Whispers about Passing Wind

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu waRahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

Dear questioner, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

Responding to your question, Dr. Salah Al-Sawi, President of the Shari`ah Academy and the Secretary General for the Assembly of Muslim Jurists in America, states:

Ignore these whispers and give them no attention. Remember the words of your prophet (peace and blessings be upon him): “Actions are but by the intentions, and every person will have only what they intend.” (Al-Bukhari)

And his words: “Allah has pardoned for this nation what its soul whispers to it so long as it does not utter it nor act upon it.”

So Allah will not call to account an action that was unintentional, nor a passing thought that wasn’t translated into speech nor action. How then (would it be) if these two matters are both nonexistent as it is in your case? So let your heart rejoice and your eye cool, for your Lord is the Most Merciful of those that show mercy!

I ask Allah to gather for you between the reward and good health, and to turn away from you all evil.

About Dr. Salah Al-Sawy

President of the Shari`ah Academy and the Secretary General for the Assembly of Muslim Jurists in America