Vowing to Fast for 40 Fridays: Valid?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Acts of Worship > Vowing to Fast for 40 Fridays: Valid?

Vowing to Fast for 40 Fridays: Valid?

Amal

Jul 06, 2018

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I vowed to fast for 40 Fridays. But now I heard that we can’t fast Friday alone. So what I am doing now is fasting Friday and Saturday or Thursday and Friday. It’s a vowed fast. I vowed only for Friday. Can I fast Friday alone? Or should I combine two days together?

Answer

Vowing to Fast for 40 Fridays

Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

1- It goes without saying that fulfilling a vow is a vital teaching in Islam. But the vow has to be in accordance with the Shari`ah rulings.

2- As for your case, you should fast a day, Thursday or Saturday, with Friday.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states: 

We are discouraged from fasting on Fridays unless it is Ramadan or the days when fasting is prescribed. So, if you have made a vow to fast forty Fridays, you can fast other days to make up for the number. It is important to remember that Friday is our weekly Eid. 

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “If you vow to obey Allah you should fulfill it, but if you vow to disobey then you should not do so.” (At-Tirmidhi)

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.