Paying More than Zakat Al-Fitr Amount: Allowed?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Zakah and Charity > Paying More than Zakat Al-Fitr Amount: Allowed?

Muhammad

Jun 24, 2017

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. Is it allowed to pay double Zakat Al-Fitr? I am living in a country different from my home. I heard that you should pay Zakat Al-Fitr in the place you reside in. But I would like also to pay to poor people in my home country?

Answer

Zakat Al-Fitr Amount

Wa `alaykum as-SalamuwaRahmatullahiwaBarakatuh.

There is no objection in the Shari`ah to pay double Zakat Al-Fitr at the place where you reside and at your home country.

Answering your question, Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf, Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies, states:

Yes, of course. It is allowed to pay more any amount. For instance, once the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) wanted to make Udhiyah (sheep sacrifice) at time of `Eid Al-Adha, he offered two big and good rams.

Also what you heard is inaccurate; it is better to pay it where you reside unless there is a good reason to send it to another place, your home land or any other country. Good reasons include people who are in more severe situations like refugees and displaced people or poor relatives, or people who suffer from calamities and the like.

About Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf

Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies