What Should I Do If I Miss a Rak`ah in My Prayer?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Acts of Worship > What Should I Do If I Miss a Rak`ah in My Prayer?

Ahmad

Mar 03, 2017

Question

As-Salamu alaykum. How do you correct or rectify a mistake when you add a rak`ah or subtract a rak`ah from your regular prayer session?

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu waRahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

Dear questioner, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

Answering your question, Dr. Mohammad S. Alrahawan, Associate Professor at the department of Islamic Studies in English, Al-Azhar University, Egypt, states:

If you miss a constituent element of prayer such as ruku` or a prostration and you discover this subtract before making your final tasleem, just add a new rak`ah and recite tashahhud and tasleem. At the end, you should make sujud as-sahaw (prostration for being forgetful).

If you discover that immediately after tasleem, you can add a full rak`ah and recite tashahhud and tasleeem in addition to two prostrations for forgetfulness.

In case you miss a supererogatory act of prayer such as the middle tashahhud of a prayer consisting of four rak`ahs, you just make two prostrations for forgetfulness.

About Dr. Mohammad S. Alrahawan

Associate Professor at the department of Islamic Studies in English, Al-Azhar University, Egypt