Does Blood after Mensuration Nullify Fasting?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Acts of Worship > Does Blood after Mensuration Nullify Fasting?

Anonymous

Jun 17, 2016

Question

As-salamu `alaikum. I fasted today after the complete seven days of my menstruation. I was clear of discharge yesterday, but however after `Asr today I had blood streaked discharge. I didn’t have it again until tonight and just a minimal amount. My question is: does it nullify my fast? Shall I wait without performing my Prayers and fasting until the discharge stops?

Answer

Mensuration

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

Dear sister, thank you for your question and for your interest in performing Prayers and fasting, two of the pillars of Islam.

As for your question, this blood is a part of your menstruation. So, you have to make up for this day and wait till the blood stops.

Responding to your question, Dr. Muhammad Salama, PhD in Islamic Studies in English and an Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Islamic Science, Al-Madinah International University, states,

Yes, sister, this blood is of your menstruation as sometimes the usual menstrual period changes. So, you need to wait until the blood stops and make sure that you are clear and then start praying and fasting.

Of course, your fasting today has become invalid.

About Dr. Muhammad Salama

Dr. Muhammad Salama, PhD, Islamic Studies in English, Associate Professor at the Faculty of Islamic Sciences al-Madinah International University (Mediu)