I Want to Help the Sick & Poor: How to Get Involved? | About Islam
Home > Ask the Counselor > Youth Issues > I Want to Help the Sick & Poor: How to Get Involved?

I Want to Help the Sick & Poor: How to Get Involved?

Anonymous

Aug 19, 2018

Question

As-salam alaikum, I was wondering if you could help me. I want to use my spare time more effectively and help the sick or poor. I want to do more for the community/charity, but I don't know how to get involved. I live in England.

Answer

• Write down a list of the issues in your community or elsewhere that are of high need. Chose a few that you feel you could offer the most benefit to.

• Check out your local Masjid and see what charitable events are going on there.

• Network with others in the mosque.

As-Salamu ‘Alaikum,

Thank you for writing. It is so wonderful to hear you would like to get involved in charity. Doing charity work is a blessing. Not only does it help those we are serving, but it also makes us feel good when we help someone. It lightens and softens our hearts.

Many examples of this are given in the Qur’an and hadiths such as

“Never will you attain the good [reward] until you spend [in the way of Allah ] from that which you love. And whatever you spend – indeed, Allah is Knowing of it.” (3:92)

They ask you, [O Muhammad], what they should spend. Say, “Whatever you spend of good is [to be] for parents and relatives and orphans and the needy and the traveler. And whatever you do of good – indeed, Allah is Knowing of it.” (2:215)

“[Charity is] for the poor who have been restricted for the cause of Allah , unable to move about in the land. An ignorant [person] would think them self-sufficient because of their restraint, but you will know them by their [characteristic] sign. They do not ask people persistently [or at all]. And whatever you spend of good – indeed, Allah is Knowing of it.” (2:273)

I would kindly suggest that you write down a list of the issues in your community or elsewhere that are of high need. Chose a few that you feel you could offer the most benefit to. Contact local Islamic organizations already helping in this area and tell them you would like to be of service. I am sure they will welcome your help.

Check out this counseling video:

You can also check out your local Masjid and see what charitable events are going on there such as homeless cooking and feeding days, clothes drives for the needy, or other acts of support and kindness for those in need.

Networking with others in the Masjid and Islamic centers will also produce results of opportunity as many are involved in charity work.

We wish you the best, and may Allah (swt) bless your efforts to provide for those less fortunate than you!

Salam,

***

Prophet Muhammad’s Care for the Poor

10 Ways to Help the Poor and Needy

12 Tips for Teens on How to Help the Poor and Needy