My Life is Empty | About Islam
Home > Ask the Counselor > Others > My Life is Empty

My Life is Empty

Anonymous

Apr 19, 2018

Question

My life is empty. I have not achieved anything. I am a good person; I pray and help when I can. But in the last 15 years, I am stuck in a rot. How can I change it around?

Answer

My Life is Empty

• Piety is worth far much more on the scales than any material achievement.
  • Take up a new hobby or take a course.
  • Holiday or visiting somewhere new; meet new people.

As-Salamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh brother,

First of all, let me begin by making a big correction to your statement. The fact that you pray and help when you can mean that you HAVE achieved something in life. In fact, it means that you have achieved a lot more than many!

Piety is worth far much more on the scales than any material achievement. So, whilst materially you might feel like you have achieved nothing, Islamically you have achieved everything. Remember these things first when considering how empty your life really is.

If you are perhaps feeling that you are stuck in a rut because you are doing nothing else with your life, then you can break free from this by trying something new.

Often, when we get stuck in the same old routine day after day things can become boring and we lose the sense of meaning and feel something like you are.

If you follow the same routine every day, then you don’t give yourself the chance to achieve something new. You can break free from this by trying something new.

Take up a new hobby or take a course. This way, you will break you out of the same routine that you usually follow as you try something new. It will also give the opportunity to achieve new things, be it a qualification or a new skill. This way, you will experience that sense of achievement that you feel you are currently lacking.

You might even consider doing a bit of volunteer work. This will contribute to your own achievements as well as those of others. Furthermore, it will give you a sense of achievement in this life as well as in the next in the eyes of Allah.

Even doing something more temporary like taking a holiday or visiting somewhere new can have a similar effect.

You could even go for something more drastic like pursuing a career change, getting a new job, or moving to a new house. These things will open you up to completely new opportunities. However, given their more drastic nature could also be very stressful, make sure to give these options careful thought if you do think of them as an option.

Being around other people as well can inject a bit of variety into your life. They may encourage you to go somewhere with them or do something new according to their own likes.

If you continue to feel down like this for an extended period and these feelings do not improve after having tried these things, then it is recommended that you see a doctor or seek counseling as you may be experiencing depression.

May Allah guide you away from these feelings and bring you feelings of happiness and contentment.

Salam,

***

Tired of Life Difficulties? Read This Hadith

Filling the Void – How?

The Psychology of Happiness

About Hannah Morris

Hannah Morris is a mum of 4 and she currently works as Counsellor and Instructor of BSc. Psychology at the Islamic Online University (IOU). She obtained her MA degree in Psychology and has over 10 years of experience working in health and social care settings in the UK, USA, and Ireland. Check out her personal Facebook page, ActiveMindCare, that promotes psychological well-being in the Ummah. (www.facebook.com/activemindcare)