I Love My Fiancé But I Can’t Trust Her Anymore | About Islam
Home > Ask the Counselor > Pre-Marital Relationships > I Love My Fiancé But I Can’t Trust Her Anymore

I Love My Fiancé But I Can’t Trust Her Anymore

Anonymous

Sep 26, 2017

Question

As-salamu alaikum, I loved a girl and since one year we are engaged and after two months we are getting married. halls and everything are booked. Preparations are going on in our homes. My concern is my fiancé had an affair a few years ago. She didn't tell me anything unless I got some chat from her account. I regret to read it, after that I asked her about this and the physical relationship with him. She confessed me that she went to his home 2 to 3 times and first she told me she did oral but later she told "nothing happened like that I just told you because you were forcing me". I actually told her that I found some sucking some bad shit in your chat which I didn't but I just fake her to get the info then she told me yes I did and later after few days she denied and she told me nothing happened like that. Her ex-boyfriend used to live alone in his home and she went there, I have doubt that she might have sex with him but she denied, she says she didn't even remove her clothes. Holding Quran she told me she didn't have any physical relationship like sex it was only physical touch. But when I ask her she just ignores and ran from me. she doesn't want to answer me anything. I don't know what to do, I have no idea, I am getting mad of thinking of this. I met her twice before proposing we had oral and tried to engage in intercourse but however it didn't happen and it was just oral, even after engagement I tried to have sex but she cried and she wasn't ready for all this except oral. it may have happened but we were not having time. I regret doing that and I always seek forgiveness from Allah. I always pray and ask forgiveness for that. I can't leave her; I love her a lot, our families are very happy, she helped me a lot in my bad times, she loves me a lot, she helped me many times and she never asked me about my past. she always cares for me. I don't want to leave her but I don't know what is wrong with me why I am hurting her asking these questions. And she doesn't answer me correctly. I don't know women, I don't know how it feels, I don't know why she is not answering and this makes me feel that she had Sex. She offers all prayers, I can't imagine any other girl as my wife but her but I am feeling very down and depressed of thinking of her past. Please help, thank You.

Answer

Trust

“The most important thing at this point isn’t hat you overcome these trust issues because beginning a marriage without trust will not place your marriage in a good place, to begin with so please do keep in mind what I said at the start when trying to overcoming this; understand things from her perspective, respect the fact her sexual history has nothing to do with you and anything up until now really is a cheat on you as you are not even married.”

Wa alaikum salaam wa rahmatulahi wa barakatuh brother,

Masha Allah you will soon be married but, unfortunately, you are having some issues before you have even sealed the marriage and this is understandably making you feel anxious. There are a number of things here that need addressing.

Firstly, you went looking for things about her behind her back is an immediate breach of trust. The fact that you searched for this information suggests you don’t trust her in the first place. Understand how that makes her feel and why this makes her feel withdrawn and not talk. Whether it’s true or not she will feel betrayed that you went behind her back essentially spying on her like that. Furthermore, you deceived her to get some kind of confession, so why would she talk to you? Understand here that as much as you feel betrayed, she is probably also feeling exactly the same way too.

Remember also that she is not even obliged to give you any information about her past sex life, regardless of whether it was haram or not, since you are not married. This is not your business. As you are not married, this couldn’t even be called adultery whether what she did was haram or not, but it is no way cheating on you.

You should also keep in mind here that any sexual relations between you and her before marriage is also haram. As you can see first hand, such relations can easily lead to a lack of trust and shows why this is not ok before marriage.

However, despite these difficulties, we can focus on the positives of the situation also. You had done the right thing in asking for forgiveness. This is a very honorable thing to do. May Allah forgive you and your future spouse. Furthermore, you have good family support from both sides and this can be incredibly helpful for a successful marriage and is something to be very grateful for as not all marriages are blessed with this.

The most important thing at this point isn’t hat you overcome these trust issues because beginning a marriage without trust will not place your marriage in a good place, to begin with so please do keep in mind what I said at the start when trying to overcoming this; understand things from her perspective, respect the fact her sexual history has nothing to do with you and anything up until now really is a cheat on you as you are not even married.

Also, don’t spy on or deceive her as a this will also contribute to mistrust between the 2 of you. Instead, focus in the positives, stay strong, continue to ask for forgiveness, support each other and appreciate the blessing of family support that you have as a couple.

May Allah bless your marriage and make you both the coolness of each others eyes bringing you both happiness in this life and the next.

***

About Hannah Morris

Hannah Morris is a mum of 4 and she currently works as Counsellor and Instructor of BSc. Psychology at the Islamic Online University (IOU). She obtained her MA degree in Psychology and has over 10 years of experience working in health and social care settings in the UK, USA, and Ireland. Check out her personal Facebook page, ActiveMindCare, that promotes psychological well-being in the Ummah. (www.facebook.com/activemindcare)