Depression, Anxiety, and Guilt | About Islam
Home > Ask the Counselor > Mental Health & Disorders > Depression, Anxiety, and Guilt

Depression, Anxiety, and Guilt

Feb 23, 2018

Ever since I graduated from university, I have been feeling immense depression and anxiety. I kept the company of pious people in my university. However, since I have come back home and started a research-oriented job, I feel empty and devoid of blessing in my time, my life, and my worshipping. Please help.

Depression, Anxiety and Guilt

As-Salamu ‘Alaykum brother,

Thank you for sending us your question. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing “immense depression and anxiety” ever since you graduated. I ask Allah to guide you to what is best for you and to fill your time with positivity and achievement.

Brother, you have every right to feel “empty and devoid of barakah (blessing)” in your time, especially after you had completed your degree and are currently jobless. This period of “down time” as they call is stressful and frustrating. It is normal to feel worthless since you have been busy for several years to achieve a noble goal of earning a college degree. Now that you achieved it and maybe having trouble finding a job, you may feel like your dreams have been shattered and may start to feel hopeless and helpless.

First, understand that your feelings are normal. They are the result of the circumstances that you are currently in. However, please do not succumb to your feelings and let them define you and dictate your life! In other words, do not give up hope that Allah will help you find your way either with a job or with something else that gives your life meaning. Continue being hopeful, get out of your house, and do something meaningful. Continue looking for jobs, seek out positive company and spend time with them, seek out Islamic halaqas (gatherings), find a hobby and master it, volunteer, be a mentor for young people, exercise, spend time with relatives that you haven’t seen in a while, etc. Do good with all the extra time you have now, and in sha’ Allah, Allah will put barakah in your life, and you will feel less empty and less “depressed.” The job will come when Allah wills it, all you have to do is to look for it and seek it out.

You are a young man with full of energy and life. Don’t waste it! If Allah did not will for you to have a job now, then keep in mind that it was not meant to be, and that maybe He wants you to reflect on life and to take a break from everything or something else. Do not allow your feelings overcome you; spend your time doing positive things. May Allah give you peace and guide you to the right path.

Disclaimer: The conceptualization and recommendations stated in this response are very general and purely based on the limited information that was provided in the question. In no event shall AboutIslam, it’s volunteers, writers, scholars, counselors, or employees be held liable for any direct, indirect, exemplary, punitive, consequential or other damages whatsoever that may arise through your decision or action in the use of the services which our website provides. 

About Aliah F. Azmeh

Aliah F. Azmeh is a licensed clinical social worker who practices in Detroit, Michigan. Aliah graduated with a Master's degree in Social Work from the University of Michigan in 2007 and has experience working in the United States and overseas. Aliah currently works as a clinical social worker and provides individual, family, and marital counseling at Muslim Family Services in Detroit, MI.