My Husband Has An Atheist Ideas, Help! | About Islam
Home > Ask the Counselor > Marital Obstacles > My Husband Has An Atheist Ideas, Help!

My Husband Has An Atheist Ideas, Help!

Anonymous

Jul 12, 2017

Question

Asalamualaikum warahmathullahi wabaraqathu, I have been married for more than 2 years to a good person masha Allah, but nowadays I find him having atheist thoughts and always reason about Allah and Quranic ayah. Its mainly because of his friend who always sends him atheistic forward messages(mainly involving making fun of our Prophet (pbuh) and Allah) and trying to deviate him from the right path. This is killing me from inside because I dream of a life where we both practice Islam and in Sha Allah meeting him up there in jannah. He will never leave that friend if I tell him too. I always used to warn him, that he will be all alone on the day of judgment. That friend won't be there to fight for your case. He never listens. Every day my husband meets his friend, I always used to explain to him in a calm way only. Never nags him about this and if he becomes an atheist I have read somewhere that our marriage becomes void. Please advise. Is it true?

Answer

Atheist ideas

This sister is worried about his husband about his atheist ideas, The counselor advises her to ask Allah to guide him for surely Allah guides who He wills. Also, continue to be a good example to him and take a different approach and instead of pointing out the negatives of what his friend is doing, instead shown him the beauty of Islam so that he is attracted to it once more. and If after all these efforts and prayers he does not change be satisfied that Allah will reward her efforts and good intentions.

Wa alaikum salaam wa rahmatulahi wa barakatuh sister,

This is a very painful situation to be in as you see the one you love deviate from the path of Islam. Inevitably this is causing you great distress. Ultimately, as you suspect,  if he denounces Islam then you would no longer be able to be in a marriage with him. It is ok for a Muslim man to marry a non-Muslim,  but not the other way around as you fear may happen in your case.

This is because ultimately any children born of the marriage will naturally take the religion of the father, thereof in your case, should Allah bless you with children, they will be drawn to the atheist path of your husband.

Unfortunately, it seems your attempts to point the dangers out to him are not working as he continues to bit from the true path. Your most powerful weapon therefore at this point is du’a. Ask Allah to guide him for surely Allah guides who He wills. Make continual prayers to Allah, especially during the times when we are told Allah answers prayers, such as the last third of the night.

Additionally, continue to be a good example to him. Take a different approach and instead of pointing out the negatives of what his friend is doing, instead shown him the beauty of Islam so that he is attracted to it once more.

Continue to pray and practice Islam openly in front of him and in sha Allah along with your prayers he will see the straight way. If he sees him happy Islam makes you and how it brings out the best in you then he may feel more encouraged to change and draw closer to the path of Islam.

Ultimately, Allah guides who He wills and if after all your efforts and prayers he does not change then be satisfied that you have done all you can to warn him, to guide him and to pray for him and be satisfied that Allah will reward your efforts and good intentions however heartbreaking it is to see him slipping away.

May Allah guide him on the straight path and make it easy for you to ensure you current difficulties successfully. May He reward you good intentions towards setting your husband on the straight and true path.

***

Disclaimer: The conceptualization and recommendations stated in this response are very general and purely based on the limited information that was provided in the question. In no event shall AboutIslam, it’s volunteers, writers, scholars, counselors, or employees be held liable for any direct, indirect, exemplary, punitive, consequential or other damages whatsoever that may arise through your decision or action in the use of the services which our website provides. 

About Hannah Morris

Hannah Morris is a mum of 4 and she currently works as Counsellor and Instructor of BSc. Psychology at the Islamic Online University (IOU). She obtained her MA degree in Psychology and has over 10 years of experience working in health and social care settings in the UK, USA, and Ireland. Check out her personal Facebook page, ActiveMindCare, that promotes psychological well-being in the Ummah. (www.facebook.com/activemindcare)