How to Protect our Kids from Sexual Assault? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Parenting > Raising Positive Children > How to Protect our Kids from Sexual Assault?

How to Protect our Kids from Sexual Assault?

S

Sep 11, 2017

Question

Hello, I found a lot of news reports about sexual assault and harassment at schools and clubs and so on , and this makes me terribly afraid for my children . Can you please give us some tips on how to protect our children from such assaults? Thank you

Answer

Sexual Assault

“Some parents have their children take classes in self-defense which I personally recommend as I feel every child, person should be taught how to defend themselves against assaults or harm. Even if the perpetrator is an adult and bigger, at least a child will have some basic skills of defending oneself or maneuvering oneself to get away. These are but a few suggestions.”

As-salamu alaykum,

Yes we are living in scary times indeed and we especially fear for our children. There are so many things out there that can harm them, that it is too numerous to list, sadly. Insha’Allah if we teach our children right and give them a strong Islamic foundation they will make wise choices when it comes to who and where they hang out. Talking to your children about what is sexual assault and harassment can also prepare them and teach them how to keep safe, or at least reduce their risks.

Keeping open communication with your children is vital insha’Allah as if anything does happen they will feel safe and secure to come to you and let you know.

Some parents have their children take classes in self defense which I personally recommend as I feel every child, person should be taught how to defend themselves against assaults or harm. Even if the perpetrator is an adult and bigger, at least a child will have some basic skills of defending oneself or maneuvering oneself to get away. These are but a few suggestions.

In the end, we must rely upon Allah SWT for protection, keep our children in duaa for protection as well as building a solid foundation of knowledge and communication with our children. Becoming excessively fearful is not good either. While the risks are there, chances are your children will not be victims insha’Allah. While we want to teach and warn our children, we also don’t want them to live in a constant state of fear either.

The balance is delicate, but with vigilance, education, communication, strong Islamic values and prayer, insha’Allah your children will be fine.

Disclaimer: The conceptualization and recommendations stated in this response are very general and purely based on the limited information that was provided in the question. In no event shall AboutIslam, it’s volunteers, writers, scholars, counselors, or employees be held liable for any direct, indirect, exemplary, punitive, consequential or other damages whatsoever that may arise through your decision or action in the use of the services which our website provides. 

Fear of Raising My Child in the West

My 4-Year Old Niece is Interested in Private Parts

How to Approach My Disbelieving Children?