Should I Divorce For the Sake of My Kids? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Parenting > Raising Positive Children > Should I Divorce For the Sake of My Kids?

Should I Divorce For the Sake of My Kids?

N

Apr 07, 2018

Question

My husband and I are having marital problems. we often discus divorce and separation. We argue a lot and he sometimes becomes violent. We have 3 kids (7, 4, 2) and it scares me how this will affect my kids. I am very stressed and depressed; and I feel I neglect them and even sometimes I shout at my kids when they are fighting or crying or even playing. My husband also does the same. I try not to let it get to me. But I feel I am continuously ignoring my kids and their demands and their right to have a peaceful environment, and that I do not give them my full attention as they deserve, due to my mental state. Should we just separate for our kids’s sake?

Answer

children

“Please do find a counselor in your area to address your depression and stress, it may be due to the abusive conditions you are living under. Please sister, also seek out parenting classes to help you relearn how to treat your children. Your local Masjid may be a good source or the counselor that you will hopefully see insha’Allah, can direct you.”

As-Salam alaykum dear sister,

I’m sorry to hear about your marriage problems. It is not a good situation at all. If your husband is violent you need to take the children and leave. Please do find someone you trust to help you with this if you fear you cannot do it alone.

It is not a healthy situation for you or your children, and yes, seeing a violent relationship between their parents will affect them as will being screamed at and neglected will.

Please do find a counselor in your area to address your depression and stress, it may be due to the abusive conditions you are living under. Please sister, also seek out parenting classes to help you relearn how to treat your children. Your local Masjid may be a good source or the counselor that you will hopefully see insha’Allah, can direct you.

In any case, please do ensure your safety and your children, and leave. If you need help, please do google local domestic violence shelters, they can help.
You are in our prayers, please let us know how you and the children are.

***

We’re Getting Divorced. How to Tell the Kids?

Negative Effects of Divorce on Children

Irresponsible Father, Ask for Divorce?