Trying to Let Go | About Islam

Trying to Let Go

D

Apr 17, 2017

Question

I have a daughter who will be turning 1 year old tomorrow. She has been crawling since 5 months and pulled up at 6 months, and has been cruising since 7 months. I thought for sure she would be walking by now, but so far, it hasn't happened. Her doctor estimated that she would walk at 13 1/2 months, he says that it has something to do with a reflex they have to develop in order to catch themselves when/if they fall. I thought for sure he was wrong when he told me that at her 9-months checkup, but now that she's almost a year old and still not walking, he might be right! She is so frustrated right now because she wants to walk, but can't. She loves to walk with her push toys. I can't keep her off of them!!! She walks well with them. At 10 months she started letting go and trying to walk to me, but it's only a few steps (3-5) and then she collapses in my arms. Anyone else have a similar situation?

Answer

let go

Dear sister,

I understand your worries and concerns about your daughter’s development but believe your doctor. It is perfectly normal to walk at 18 months.

That is what happened to my grandson. Now he is 5 years old and he is running and playing soccer. Just encourage her to keep trying and maybe she can use a walker that has toys attached to it. Alsoو you can take her to play with other kids at her age.

Kids encourage and teach each other much more than we think. Eventuallyو she will be walking and running.

Disclaimer: The conceptualization and recommendations stated in this response are very general and purely based on the limited information that was provided in the question. In no event shall AboutIslam, it’s volunteers, writers, scholars, counselors, or employees be held liable for any direct, indirect, exemplary, punitive, consequential or other damages whatsoever that may arise through your decision or action in the use of the services which our website provides. 

About About Islam Counselor