`Abd al Hadi or, Al Hadi? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Parenting > Child Development > `Abd al Hadi or, Al Hadi?

`Abd al Hadi or, Al Hadi?

S (28-female-US)

Apr 21, 2017

Question

As salamu 'alaykum. Is the name Hadi Ahmed acceptable? Is Hadi Allah's name? Can we use Hadi without `abdul? Please correct me. It's urgent. Please pray for my new baby. Salam

Answer

As-salamu `alaikum sister,

Al Hadi is one of the 99 names of Allah (SWT), which means Guide, for He is the Guide of all. It is more acceptable to use the name Abd al Hadi, in this way it is clear that you are a servant of the Guide of Humanity, and not “the guide” himself, as the meaning of `abd al Hadi is servant of the guide.

No one can be called by a divine attribute, for example, dropping `abd from `abd ul Haqq to leave the divine attribute “Haqq”.

**

Disclaimer: The conceptualization and recommendations stated in this response are very general and purely based on the limited information that was provided in the question. In no event shall AboutIslam, it’s volunteers, writers, scholars, counselors, or employees be held liable for any direct, indirect, exemplary, punitive, consequential or other damages whatsoever that may arise through your decision or action in the use of the services which our website provides. 

About Hwaa Irfan

Hwaa Irfan serves as consultant, counselor and freelance writer. She is focusing on traditional healing mechanisms as practiced in various communities, as opposed to Western healing mechanisms.