Why Does Islam Allow Marriage at an Early Age? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > Why Does Islam Allow Marriage at an Early Age?

Why Does Islam Allow Marriage at an Early Age?

Sheena

Oct 25, 2016

Question

Assalamu Alaikum, It is always a topic of debate about the age of Aisha when she got married to Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him). It is widely believed that she was just 9 then, and this is used as an excuse for child marriage and the sexual and physical exploitation that follows it throughout the world. As a person I really can’t accept this logic because it carries a lot of risk on the physical and mental health of the child.Therefore I would like to know the ruling of Islam on child marriage, and if Islam permits it, what’s the reason?

Answer

About Sadaf Farooqi

Sadaf Farooqi is an author, blogger and freelance writer based in Karachi, Pakistan. To date, Sadaf has authored over 300 original articles, most of which can be accessed on her blog, "Sadaf's Space" (sadaffarooqi.wordpress.com). She has recently started self-publishing her past articles as non-fiction Islamic books, which are available on Amazon and Kindle (www.amazon.com/author/sadaffarooqi)