Smiling Decently at Opposite Gender to Avoid Rudeness OK? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > Smiling Decently at Opposite Gender to Avoid Rudeness OK?

Smiling Decently at Opposite Gender to Avoid Rudeness OK?

Anonymous

Feb 22, 2019

Question

Assalamu 'alaykum. In a typical work or school situation, is it OK to smile decently to teachers or coworkers when talking to them? If I don't smile I seem rude especially if I am greeted. It's not a tempting laugh or smile with eye contact, just a decent one to show a pleasant person. Also if I am working and I am left with a male coworker/client in the room, what should I do? Jazakum Allahu khairan

Answer

About Leah Darland Hanoosh

Leah is a Muslim convert of almost a decade. She has two kids, an intercultural marriage, and half of a French degree in her back pocket, looking to switch gears to science and medicine. She has lived abroad for over a decade, having just recently become reacquainted with her roots in America. She currently lives in Michigan near her family and – masha’Allah – a sizeable Muslim community.