How Did Prophet Muhammad Spread Islam to Humanity? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > How Did Prophet Muhammad Spread Islam to Humanity?

How Did Prophet Muhammad Spread Islam to Humanity?

Fawaz

Nov 15, 2018

Question

Hi, I have wanted to know for a long time the actions that Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) had done in order for him to convey the message from Allah to humanity. I know that the message was sent through the angel Jibreel (Gabriel) and Muhammad translated it and wrote it in the Quran. But the thing is I don't know what he did to spread it all over humanity, and also what were the critical issues and motivating forces that shaped his actions. Thanks and best regards.

Answer

Spread Islam

Short Answer: Basically, by word of mouth. Prophet Muhammad spread Islam, first and foremost, by being an excellent example. He also made sure to teach his companions how to be good teachers, and he taught them how to spread Islam effectively.

………….

Asalamu Alaikum Fawaz,

Thank you for contacting About Islam with your question.

God sent Muhammad, the Final Prophet (peace be upon him-PBUH) as a “mercy for all the worlds.” (Quran 21:107)

Thus, the methods that he followed in order to spread this divine message to humanity could be summarized into the following:

1. Being a living example.
  2. Educating his companions to be role models for humanity.
  3. Teaching the concept of dawah, or call for Islam.

Being a Living Example

Regarding the first method, the Prophet (PBUH) spread the message of Islam through showing humanity an example of an excellent human being.

He was an ideal teacher, friend, husband, father, grandfather, speaker, neighbour, employer, etc.

In all the roles that he played in his life, he gave humanity examples of how to reach human perfection.

And this is the main means through which the message of Islam was spread among his people.

It has been mentioned in Mubarakpuri’s biography of the Prophet Muhammad, Ar-Rahiq Al-Makhtum (the Sealed Nectar), that when Ja`far ibn Abi Talib was asked by Al-Najashi, the King of Ethiopia at the time, about the message of Muhammad, Ja`far said:

He (Muhammad) is a man who is asking us to be honest, chaste, and good to our relatives.

When Aishah, the Prophet’s wife, was asked about his manners, she said:

His manners were the Quran. (Ahmad)

He was a Quran walking on earth. (Ahmad)

And, Allah Almighty said of His messenger:

Indeed, you have a sublime character. (Quran 68:4)

He Taught His Companions How To Teach Others

The second factor in the spread of Islam was the way the companions were educated by their teacher, Muhammad.

This was so they could be role models themselves. Islam was spread in various parts of the world through the companions’ excellent conduct, demonstrated during their travels after the Prophet passed away.

The Islamic state can never force people to become Muslim by any means, as some might think. 

The way Islam spread in the vast areas in Asia and Africa was through the excellent example that the companions and their students and followers (at-tabe`een) gave to people.

The areas of the largest Islamic populations today in East Asia have never seen any military conflict with any Islamic state.

Indonesia is a clear example. The way Islam spread and, later, became the religion of the overwhelming majority of that country was through akhlaq (good manners and ethical morality).

He Taught People How To Give Effective Dawah

The third method through which the Prophet (PBUH) spread the message of Islam was by teaching the concept of dawah (call for Islam).

The Prophet Muhammad taught his companions, and all Muslims, that a caller to a good deed is rewarded a reward equal to the reward of those who follow him in his or her call (Al-Bukhari).

The Prophet also advised his people to:

Convey the message after me, even one verse. (Al-Bukhari)

Allah describes the Prophet’s way by saying:

Say [O Prophet]: “This is my way: Resting upon conscious insight accessible to reason, I am calling [you all] unto God – I and they who follow me.” And [say:] “Limitless is God in His glory; and I am not one of those who ascribe divinity to aught beside Him!” (Quran 12:108)

Muhammad Did Not Write The Quran; God Did

However, regarding the part of your question where you mentioned that Muhammad had “translated the message and wrote it in the Quran,” I would like to note that there is a bit of inaccuracy in this expression.

Prophet Muhammad received the message of the Quran as a recitation (which is what the word Quran means) as we know it today, in the same (Arabic) language.

Some people suggested that he “wrote the Quran” himself, based on some “coded message” that he received from the angel Gabriel.

But Prophet Muhammad never learned how to read or write. This is a well-known historic fact, God said — for a few examples — what means:

Behold, We have bestowed it from on high as a discourse in the Arabic tongue, so that you might encompass it with your reason. (Quran 12:2)

And thus have We bestowed from on high this [divine writ] as a discourse in the Arabic tongue […] (Quran 20:113)

A divine writ, the messages whereof have been clearly spelled out as a discourse in the Arabic tongue […] (Quran 41:3)

These, among others, are verses that confirm that the Quran was revealed in Arabic language to the last of messengers and prophets, Muhammad.

And Allah knows best.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Salam and please keep in touch.

(From Ask About Islam archives)

Please continue feeding your curiosity, and find more info in the following links:

Why Make Dawah and How?

Effective Dawah:- Surah Jinn – by Suhaib Webb

What Are the Characteristics of Islamic Dawah?

About Dr. Jasser Auda

Jasser Auda is a Professor and Al-Shatibi Chair of Maqasid Studies at the International Peace College South Africa, the Executive Director of the Maqasid Institute, a global think tank based in London, and a Visiting Professor of Islamic Law at Carleton University in Canada. He is a Founding and Board Member of the International Union of Muslim Scholars, Member of the European Council for Fatwa and Research, Fellow of the Islamic Fiqh Academy of India, and General Secretary of Yaqazat Feker, a popular youth organization in Egypt. He has a PhD in the philosophy of Islamic law from University of Wales in the UK, and a PhD in systems analysis from University of Waterloo in Canada. Early in his life, he memorized the Quran and studied Fiqh, Usul and Hadith in the halaqas of Al-Azhar Mosque in Cairo. He previously worked as: Founding Director of the Maqasid Center in the Philosophy of Islamic Law in London; Founding Deputy Director of the Center for Islamic Ethics in Doha; professor at the University of Waterloo in Canada, Alexandria University in Egypt, Islamic University of Novi Pazar in Sanjaq, Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies, and the American University of Sharjah. He lectured and trained on Islam, its law, spirituality and ethics in dozens of other universities and organizations around the world. He wrote 25 books in Arabic and English, some of which were translated to 25 languages.