Can A Muslim Man Have Female Roommates? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > Can A Muslim Man Have Female Roommates?

Can A Muslim Man Have Female Roommates?

Anonymous

Jan 05, 2019

Question

Asalamu alaykum. I moved away from my family to go school in a another city that I don't know anyone from. While looking for a place to stay, I found out some students were looking for a roommate. I contacted them, and they let me move in to the house. The students were three non-muslim females. What does Islam teach about living with non-muslims of the opposite sex? Thank you!

Answer

About Theresa Corbin

Theresa Corbin is the author of The Islamic, Adult Coloring Book and co-author of The New Muslim’s Field Guide. Corbin is a French-creole American and Muslimah who converted in 2001. She holds a BA in English Lit and is a writer, editor, and graphic artist who focuses on themes of conversion to Islam, Islamophobia, women's issues, and bridging gaps between peoples of different faiths and cultures. She is a regular contributor for AboutIslam.net and Al Jumuah magazine. Her work has also been featured on CNN and Washington Post, among other publications. Visit her blog, islamwich, where she discusses the intersection of culture and religion.