Marriage Issues and Parents’ Will: Can I Stay Unmarried? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > Marriage Issues and Parents’ Will: Can I Stay Unmarried?

Marriage Issues and Parents’ Will: Can I Stay Unmarried?

Anonymous

Sep 25, 2018

Question

My question is about marriage and parents' will. To what extent is their choice and obedience necessary in terms of marriage? Also does Islam instruct us to marry blindly? How then would we know the character of the other person before marriage? Other people sometimes give wrong accounts of a person and sometimes the flaws they are okay with are unbearable for the girl. How do we get to know the other person beforehand? Also can a girl stay unmarried if she is not comfortable with the process of marriage in her society and she remains chaste?

Answer

About Leah Darland Hanoosh

Leah is a Muslim convert of almost a decade. She has two kids, an intercultural marriage, and half of a French degree in her back pocket, looking to switch gears to science and medicine. She has lived abroad for over a decade, having just recently become reacquainted with her roots in America. She currently lives in Michigan near her family and – masha’Allah – a sizeable Muslim community.