Lower-Caste Husband: Can Child Use My Last Name? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > Lower-Caste Husband: Can Child Use My Last Name?

Lower-Caste Husband: Can Child Use My Last Name?

Anonymous

Sep 19, 2017

Question

Assalaamua lekum. I wanted to ask that in Islam can a child take up the surname of his/her mother instead of the father. And sometimes if the reason of doing so is that he won't be made fun of...Suppose in India we have the caste system existing and let me make it clear I don't believe in it but still whole of the Indian society does. Suppose a girl from a higher community marries a guy from the lower community (In India we have the division). Suppose the girl is Sheikh or Syed and the boy Ansari or Quraishy then just because other children don't make fun wherever their child goes throughout India.. Can their child take up the surname of the mother i.e. Sheikh instead of the father surname i.e.Quraishy? Is taking the surname of the mother haram? If yes, Is it halal in the case mentioned above?

Answer

About Anne Myers

Anne Myers is a proud Wellesley College graduate and holds a Master of Divinity focusing in Islamic studies. She has experience in pastoral care in hospital and university settings. Her passions include Islam, feminism, traveling, reading, watching cooking competitions, and her cats.