Lesbianism in the Quran? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > Lesbianism in the Quran?

Lesbianism in the Quran?

Marie

Feb 24, 2017

Question

Hello, for a few days I have been hearing some of my friends accusing Islam. So I wanted to make sure I know the correct thing by asking you. They pointed out that in verse 3:14 "Beautified for people is the love of that which they desire of women and sons, heaped-up sums of gold and silver, fine branded horses, and cattle and tilled land. That is the enjoyment of worldly life, but Allah has with Him the best return." This verse refers to mankind "nas" which includes men and women. They said that woman can desire woman only if they are lesbian. Can you clarify this?

Answer

About Yasmin Mogahed

Yasmin Mogahed received her B.S. Degree in Psychology and her Masters in Journalism and Mass Communications from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. After completing her graduate work, she taught Islamic Studies and served as a youth coordinator. She also worked as a writing instructor at Cardinal Stritch University and a staff columnist for the Islam section of InFocus News. Currently she’s an instructor for  AlMaghrib Institute, a writer for the Huffington Post, an international speaker, and author, where she focuses most of her work on spiritual and personal development. Yasmin recently released her new book, Reclaim Your Heart, which is now available worldwide. Visit her website, yasminmogahed.com , where you can find a collection of her articles, poetry, and lectures.