How to Do a Muslim Engagement Ceremony? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > How to Do a Muslim Engagement Ceremony?

How to Do a Muslim Engagement Ceremony?

Anonymous

Jun 17, 2018

Question

As-salamu alaikum dear scholars. Thank you very much for all your work on this website. I am a recent convert to Islam and I should get engaged in three months, insha' Allah. I do not know much about how engagement is performed in Islam and I need information on the rules to follow for the engagement ceremony so that I do my best to bring Allah's blessing on my engagement and future marriage. I would like to know the general information and as well information on some details such as the following: What should we do and what should we avoid doing in the ceremony? What should we say and avoid saying? Are there recommendations on how I should dress and present myself? I do not wear hijab but I dress modestly without make-up and I tie my hair. May I wear a little makeup, leave my hair loose, wear a pretty but decent covering dress? Are there recommendations about whom to invite? As well, it is possible that my non-Muslim parents refuse to come since they are against my conversion and will probably be angry that I plan to marry a Muslim man. Will my engagement be valid according to Islam if my parents do not come? Thank you.

Answer

About Sahar El-Nadi

Sahar El-Nadi is an Egyptian freelance journalist who traveled to 25 countries around the world and currently based in Cairo. Sahar also worked in many people-related careers in parallel, including presenting public events and TV programs; instructing training courses in communication skills; cross cultural issues; image consulting for public speakers; orientation for first-time visitors to the Middle East; and localization consulting for international educational projects.