Is It Their Fault That They Were Born Non-Muslim? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > Interfaith Issues > Is It Their Fault That They Were Born Non-Muslim?

Is It Their Fault That They Were Born Non-Muslim?

Anonymous

Apr 21, 2017

Question

How is it fair that I get to go to heaven because I am born a Muslim, but non-Muslims will go to the hell just because they don't know about Islam and weren't born Muslim?

Answer

Asalamu Alaikum,

Thank you for contacting About Islam with your question.

Islamophobia TV addresses this question in the video below.

Summary:

In this video, Fadel Soliman explains how Muslims who are born into Muslim families are not given a free pass into heaven and those non-Muslims who have never heard the message of Islam or only heard a distorted version of the message of Islam will not be automatically sent to hell.

Soliman discusses how this kind of thinking comes from a lack of understanding of Who Allah is and what salvation is. He explains that salvation for a Muslim is not through faith alone, but through faith and good deeds.

He also discusses the fact that it is not a person’s fault for being born into a non-Muslim family. Allah says, Never will we punish until We have sent a messenger. We must rest assured that Allah is Just and will never punish someone for not knowing. Everyone will get a chance. 

Soliman goes on to explain the concept of who Muslims are prohibited from asking Allah’s forgiveness for and why. He also discusses why the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is the last messenger and why we don’t need another.  

I hope this helps answer your question. Please keep in touch.

Walaikum Asalam.

Please continue feeding your curiosity, and find more info in the following links:

Accepting Non-Muslims; Do They Deserve Paradise?

What Happens When Muslims Show Kindness to Non-Muslims? (Watch)

Are Muslims Superior to Non-Muslims?

About About Islam Counselor