Father's Influence: Between Culture and Religion? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > Social Life > Father’s Influence: Between Culture and Religion?

Father’s Influence: Between Culture and Religion?

Saba

Jul 23, 2016

Question

Assalam o alaikum, First, I like to appreciate excellent work your entire team is doing. I hope one of your experts will try to satisfy my query as well. I'm deeply confused that to what extent a father can dictate or interfere in his adult children life. I'm over 30, mature enough to decide b/w right and wrong but couldn't able to take a single step without his permission. Is it necessary to obey father or God? God allows women to work and it is also not prohibited by religion to wear loose jeans on a long shirt but what if father stops you, can I overruled him? Can father holds right to force daughter to do something that is cultural like nose piercing as it is common in Pakistan but personally I don't like and neither its an obligation. In Islam father is a guardian or a dictator?Where lies my personal interest and religious freedom if I keep following him blindly? Does a Muslim women means I can’t make my own principles?

Answer

About Sadaf Farooqi

Sadaf Farooqi is an author, blogger and freelance writer based in Karachi, Pakistan. To date, Sadaf has authored over 300 original articles, most of which can be accessed on her blog, "Sadaf's Space" (sadaffarooqi.wordpress.com). She has recently started self-publishing her past articles as non-fiction Islamic books, which are available on Amazon and Kindle (www.amazon.com/author/sadaffarooqi)