Does Quran Allow Muslims to Beat Women? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > Does Quran Allow Muslims to Beat Women?

Does Quran Allow Muslims to Beat Women?

Rany

Oct 02, 2018

Question

As-salamu alaykum brothers and sisters in Islam. First of all, thank you for your wonderful site. May God bless you, insha’ Allah. I’d like some explanation of surat 4, verse 34, and also the part that means “beat them (lightly).” Does the Quran allow us to beat women? Please, I’d like to know more about it. Thank you very much. As-salamu `alaykum. The verse in question, says what means: (… As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them [first]. [Next], refuse to share their beds, [And last] beat them [lightly]; but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, Great [Above you all].) (Surat An-Nisaa’ 4:34)

Answer

About Sahar El-Nadi

Sahar El-Nadi is an Egyptian freelance journalist who traveled to 25 countries around the world and currently based in Cairo. Sahar also worked in many people-related careers in parallel, including presenting public events and TV programs; instructing training courses in communication skills; cross cultural issues; image consulting for public speakers; orientation for first-time visitors to the Middle East; and localization consulting for international educational projects.