How Can I Convert to Islam When My Parents Are Islamophobes? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > How Can I Convert to Islam When My Parents Are Islamophobes?

How Can I Convert to Islam When My Parents Are Islamophobes?

John

Oct 29, 2017

Question

Salam Alaikum, I want to convert to Islam, I've been researching for about 6 months about it. I firstly came to Islam when the un-islamic ISIS first got reported on the news. Initially, I believed that ISIS had everything to do with Islam but I decided to do some research and find out what it was actually about and it had nothing to do with Islam. I finally came to the decision to convert to Islam but the problem are my parents who are atheist-militant islamophobes and any time I try to defend Muslims and Islam they get angry saying that if I become Muslim, I won't be their son anymore. Since I started to defend Islam they have been cooking more pork and non-halal meat. I have really found faith in Islam and its my time to convert but I'm afraid my parents will kick me out or be treatted badly. May peace and blessings of Allah be upon you, John

Answer

convert parents

Short Answer: Keep your conversion to Islam a secret for as long as possible. Be an example, improve yourself with Islam as much as possible before trying to explain yourself with words. Show them how much Islam has changed you for the better. Be careful in praying, fasting, and eating to avoid offending them and do your best to be kind to them.

Wa Alaikum Assalam Dear John,

Thank you for your question and for contacting Ask About Islam.

Initially, you may hide your conversion to Islam from your parents until you become independent or God opens a way for you.

Regarding Meals with Family

You may also eat the meat that they cook other than pork, such as beef, lamp, or goat.

After reading an article about how pork is unhealthy, you tell them that you read an article that pork meat is extremely unhealthy, and therefore, you have decided not to eat it anymore.

This is based on that Muslims may eat the food of the People of the Book (Christians and Jews).

The final resort is to claim to have become vegetarian and eat only vegetables or vegetarian meals when at home.

Prayer and Fasting

You must pray in your room in secret if you have your own room that you may lock the door without anyone opening it all of a sudden.

If this is not the case then let me know how it is and I will find you a solution.

Fasting is going to be a challenge and that will be soon.

You might have to say that you are cleansing your body by eating during the night time only, or you are following some type of detox treatment.

Be An Example

From your side, you need to be extremely kind and nice to your parents and siblings, if you have any.

Show that that you have changed for the best without telling them that you are a Muslim.

Finally, pray that Allah (God) will guide them and that he makes things easier on you so that they will accept you for who you are and respect the religion that you have chosen.

Anyway, eventually your parents will find out.

However, as long as you continue to show them that Islam have changed you for the better, inshaAllah, they will grow to accept it.

Welcome to Islam and may Allah keep you steadfast on His religion.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Salam and please keep in touch.

(From AboutIslam’s archives)

Read more…

Can I Convert in Secret? Must I Announce My Choice?

Can I Convert If My Parents Are Against It?

Kindness to Non-Muslim Parents?

How Can My Parents Accept the Truth?

How Can I Choose Between My Parents and Islam?

About Maan Khalife

Maan has many years of experience in dawah work and established the first Muslim cemetery in the state of Arizona. He formerly worked as the Ask About Islam Editor and a consultant.