Confused About the Procedure of Islamic Marriage! | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > Confused About the Procedure of Islamic Marriage!

Confused About the Procedure of Islamic Marriage!

Cherese

Aug 10, 2016

Question

I am a Christian woman planning to marry a Muslim man from Egypt. We both live in the same city here in the US. We are planning to have one wedding ceremony either in a church or with a Christian/Methodist minister and a second at the local Mosque. I am not familiar with what a ceremony at the mosque will entail. My fiancé told me that I could have an opportunity to speak with the Imam and ask any questions.What type of paperwork will be completed during this ceremony? Someone has suggested to me that I establish certain things in a wedding contract before we get married. Is the Imam the one who can do this or do I need a lawyer to establish this? I don't quite understand how a marriage in the mosque translates legally here in the US and what about in Egypt? Is this going to bind our marriage to Islamic law and where/when would this apply? Although I have been doing a lot of reading on different subjects that pertain to our cross-cultural, inter-faith marriage this area is still really blurry for me... Also, do you believe the Imam will be open to answering any of my questions? I appreciate any feedback you may have. Thank you.

Answer

About Sheikh Ahmad Saad

Ahmed Saad is the founding director of Ihsan Institute of Arabic & Islamic Studies-UK. An international speaker and dynamic scholar. ()