How Can An Older Convert Find the Right Mate? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > How Can An Older Convert Find the Right Mate?

How Can An Older Convert Find the Right Mate?

Rosemary

Feb 10, 2018

Question

As-Salamu alaykum, dear scholars. Thank you for your great efforts in answering the many varying questions put to you. It is a very satisfactory way of learning. My question concerns marriage. I recently reverted to Islam and have found much solace and peace of mind. As a Muslimah, I understand the reasons why I should not marry a non-Muslim. However, I live in a country (Belgium) where Muslims of my age group (40+) are of a very different culture and tradition with very different expectations of marriage. There is very little integration within this age group. I am past the childbearing age, so the reason for marrying within the faith is largely non-existent. It seems rather unjust (forgive my Western mind) that I should have to live out the rest of my life without a partner. This cannot be what Allah intended. The reference I find in the Quran regarding marriage pertains strongly only to young people and those living in a Muslim country. There are many other women in the same situation, so what do you suggest for people my age? Thank you for your kind reply.

Answer

About AElfwine Mischler

AElfwine Mischler is an American convert to Islam. She has undergraduate degrees in physics and English, and a master's degree in linguistics and teaching English as a foreign language.