New Muslim Sister: Can I Make Du'aa' During Menstruation? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > New Muslim Sister: Can I Make Du’aa’ During Menstruation?

New Muslim Sister: Can I Make Du’aa’ During Menstruation?

Anonymous

Oct 22, 2017

Question

I’m a convert and I have a question: during my period I can make dua to Allah, right? Do I have to do wudu and wear the prayer garment to cover myself while doing that?

Answer

duaa menstruation

Short Answer: “Yes, definitely you can make du’aa’ (supplication) to Allah anytime you want!… Regarding your other question, do you have to do wudu and wear your prayer garment? No, not necessarily. We call upon Allah whenever and wherever. So it is not limited to when we have ablution and dressed in certain garments.”

Salam Dear Sister,

Thank you so much for asking such an important question, and it is beautiful and heartwarming to know that you want to speak to Allah and make du’aa’ to Him.

Du’aa’ Is the Heart of All Worship

This is one of the most important acts of worship.

The Prophet (peace and blessings upon him) said:

Verily supplication is worship.” [At-Tirmidhi].

The hadith shows us that du’aa’ is the essence of worship.

It is indeed the heart of all our worship to call upon Allah, speak to Him, and direct our hearts, minds, actions, pursuits and requests to Him alone.

So, yes, definitely you can make dua (supplication) to Allah anytime you want! Allah is ever Near, He never shuts His Doors and He is never unavailable.

Allah – there is no deity except Him, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of [all] existence. Neither drowsiness overtakes Him nor sleep… (Quran 2:255)

Allah listens and responds to the supplication of every single person who calls upon Him in His Most Wise ways.

Allah Almighty Himself says:

And when My servants ask you, [O Muhammad], concerning Me – indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me [by obedience] and believe in Me that they may be [rightly] guided. (Quran 2: 186)

The Example of Aisha During Hajj

And we also know from the hadith in Muwatta Malik that when the Mother of the believers, Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) went to Mecca during Hajj, she had her period.

She asked the Prophet (peace and blessings upon him) what to do and he told her to do everything that the people doing Hajj are doing, except tawaf around the ka’aba and going between Safa and Marwa.

So this shows that during her period, she was to make du’aa’ and dhikr and all the blessed spiritual acts worshipers are doing.

He only exempted women from doing what would be heavy on her during her period (like circumambulating and walking back and forth between the mountains of Safa and Marwa).

Must We Make Wudu’ and Wear Hijab To Make Du’aa’?

Regarding your other question, do you have to make wudu and wear your prayer garment? No, not necessarily.

We call upon Allah whenever and wherever.

So it is not limited to when we have ablution and dressed in certain garments.

May Allah accept from you and keep you always in connection with Him.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Salam and please keep in touch.

(From AboutIslam’s archives)

Read more…

Can a Menstruating Woman Read the Qur’an?

Reciting Quran & Tawaf: Women in Menses Excluded?

Why Aren’t Women Allowed to Pray During Their Period?

Is Menstruation a Punishment from Allah to Women?

About Dina Mohamed Basiony

Dina Mohamed Basiony is a writer based in Cairo, Egypt. She is the Chief Editor of ProductiveMuslim.com. She specializes in Islam and spirituality. Dina holds an MA and BA in Journalism and Mass Communication from the American University in Cairo.