Can a New Convert Marry With a Limited Income? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > Can a New Convert Marry With a Limited Income?

Can a New Convert Marry With a Limited Income?

Anonymous

Jun 13, 2018

Question

I am a revert who doesn't have much wealth. I know that fasting is prescribed for those who "do not have the means" and I have followed this rule. However, I have a medical condition that limits my ability to find better employment. I do have work that let's me live ok but it isn't much. I struggle with haram desires despite fasting and am not getting any younger at 31. I feel I have strong Iman and I give charity even though I am limited myself. Would it be right for a potential spouse, or her family, to reject me based on limited income given my background? I'm worried this stigma will prevent me from marriage for the rest of my life.

Answer

About Theresa Corbin

Theresa Corbin is the author of The Islamic, Adult Coloring Book and co-author of The New Muslim’s Field Guide. Corbin is a French-creole American and Muslimah who converted in 2001. She holds a BA in English Lit and is a writer, editor, and graphic artist who focuses on themes of conversion to Islam, Islamophobia, women's issues, and bridging gaps between peoples of different faiths and cultures. She is a regular contributor for AboutIslam.net and Al Jumuah magazine. Her work has also been featured on CNN and Washington Post, among other publications. Visit her blog, islamwich, where she discusses the intersection of culture and religion.