How Can I Gain Firm & Doubt-Free Faith? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > Heart and Soul > How Can I Gain Firm & Doubt-Free Faith?

How Can I Gain Firm & Doubt-Free Faith?

Anonymous

Jan 12, 2017

Question

Asalamu Alykoom, Sometimes I have doubts. And this scares me, as I want to have firm faith. So how do I get rid of my doubt? Thank you in advance for your help.

Answer

How Can I Gain Firm & Doubt-Free Faith

Asalamu Alaikum,

Thank you for contacting About Islam with your question.

Dr. Shabir Ally addresses this question in the video below:

Transcript:

Aisha Khaja: So, Dr. Shabir, how does one established faith firmly with his or her heart free from doubts?

Dr. Shabir Ally: Mhm. Well, let me first address the free from doubts issue. Then, let me talk about the firmness of faith. Sometimes people have the idea that faith cannot include doubt.

And then, indeed there is a verse of the Quran which describes the believers as: only those who believe in God and in His Prophet, [quoting in Arabic] then they do not doubt.

But here the Quran must be referring to a kind of grave doubt that makes a person want to be not a Muslim, like one day Muslim, another day not a Muslim, kind of wavering back-and-forth. 

Whereas, you can have, even in the faithful believer a firm commitment to the faith, but yet, at the same time, unanswered questions on certain issues. And some things that we may refer to as doubt.

But it’s not that kind of grave kind. Like we see for example, in the Quran, that there were prophets and messengers who asked God about certain things. Like, for example, Abraham asked God: show me how you bring the dead back to life. And God says, well, [quoting in Arabic] do you not believe?

[Quoting in Arabic. Abraham replied:] Of, course I believe. But I just want the satisfaction of my heart.

So, there is this kind of little bit of uneasiness with certain issues that somebody needs to seek the clarification about. So, that can happen. So, how do we have the firm faith then?

We have the firm faith by reading the Quran, by establishing our regular prayers because these things keep us in, remain in constant communication and communion with God. And we should read books that explain the beauty and wisdom of the Islamic faith

So, that will help to remove the uneasiness about certain questions and help us to appreciate the beauty and the wisdom and feel complete satisfaction.

I hope this helps answer your question. Please keep in touch.

Walaikum Asalam.

Please continue feeding your curiosity, and find more info in the following links:

Walking Guilty – The Weight of Doubt & Sin

Tips to Eliminate Self-Doubt

What Are the Limits in Asking Religious Questions?

Is There Criteria for True Faith?

About Reading Islam Team