How Can I Deal with Non-Muslim Mates? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > How Can I Deal with Non-Muslim Mates?

How Can I Deal with Non-Muslim Mates?

Tarek

Sep 22, 2016

Question

Hello, I want to start by saying your site is very informative and you do a great job of answering questions. May Allah's blessings be upon you. My question is about dealing with nonbelievers. I stay in a college dormitory and two of my roommates are both “Christian”. I put that in quotes because neither of them pray nor live righteously. Also, they are extremely anti-Muslim. I have just recently embraced Islam, and as you might imagine their beliefs put great hardship on me. I have not yet learned to pray properly but I will very soon. I worry that when I begin to pray in front of them they will mock me, which will make me very angry because I am very adamant about Islam. What do you suggest I do? I have already tried discussing my faith with them to no avail. They both attest that Islam is a faith of hate and violence and won't listen to reason. Please give me some insight. Thank you for your patience.

Answer

How Can I Deal with Non-Muslim Mates?

Salam Dear Tarek,

Thank you for your question and for contacting Ask About Islam.

Actually you are an ambassador of Islam. So, simply be an example of what it means to be a Muslim.

I do not think that anyone will mock you when they see that you are sincere about your faith as a Muslim, and not just going through some kind of ‘phase’ of your youth.

There are simply too many Muslims in the U.S. for most Americans to be totally unaware of some basic aspects of Islamic faith and practice. Fear only Allah and be proud of the blessing that He has bestowed upon you.

On the chance that your roommates prove to be difficult, try to find a mosque or a different place to pray with other Muslims in your area so that you can pray on a regular basis and with confidence. You will learn more quickly and strengthen your faith at the same time.

Even though you are still learning how to pray you should establish regular prayer as soon as possible. Pray to Allah as you know how until you become more educated in the Islamic teachings regarding worship. Allah knows your intentions so keep in touch with Him many times a day.

If they become too unbearable, try to find another place to live or request new roommates. Make du`aa’ (supplication) to Allah as much as you can and in any language. This is to help you deal with them and all non-Muslims in a way that will show them the truth about Islam and Muslims.

You need to show them that Muslims are rational, logical and peace-minded people, who have the best interests of all humanity at heart.

With respect to educating them about Islam, don’t be in too big a hurry to win their acceptance of your new way of life. Once you have a strong understanding of Islam you will find it easier to communicate with others about it.

This, of course, will take time. So, do your best right now to learn all you can in this special time of a new beginning in your life. What you learn and experience in this early stage of your Islam will stay with you for the rest of your life. Do your best to educate them but leave the “converting” to Allah.

I hope this helps you to deal with your friends and other non-Muslims. Remember, you need to be what you are presenting to others about Islam. May Allah Guide you and all of us to what pleases Him.

Salam and please keep in touch.

About Waleed Najmeddine

Waleed Ahmed Najmeddine is a Canadian born Muslim and public school administrator. He is an active member of the Muslim community and enjoys educating Muslims and non-Muslims about Islam. He currently holds a Master of Education degree in leadership and school improvement.