Balancing Life Between Work and Worship | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > Balancing Life Between Work and Worship

Balancing Life Between Work and Worship

Shariq

Jul 16, 2016

Question

Assalam alaikum. My age is 31 and I am single and work in bank , my problem is that I perform namaz occasionally without missing Friday prayer but whenever I use to perform namaz 5 times my mind get diverted from this worldly affairs and I think to resign from my job and want to dedicate my whole life to ALLAH and as I involve in more and more ritual practices of Islam my mind does not concentrate on job and when I concentrate on job I think of Islam and the purpose of my life. Kindly help me I am frustrated don't no what to do?

Answer

Balancing Life Between Work and Worship

Wa Alaikum Assalam Dear Shariq,

Thank you for your question and for contacting Ask About Islam.

Initially, I don’t have the capacity to resolve your problem. You are the one who will be able to resolve your own problem through seeking Allah’s help by making Dua and Dhikr. From my side, I can only advise you.

First, Islam is not a religion that asks us to denounce the world. If it did, it would have been impractical, while Islam is the most sensible and practical religion ever.

You need to balance your life between your job and your acts of worship. We are not required in Islam to pray the entire day, it is five times at different intervals and only two prayers, zuhr and asr, fall within working hours unless you work night shift.

When you start your work in the morning say bismillah and ask Allah to help you concentrate on your job, to do it in the best way possible, and to put blessings in it.

When the time for prayer comes, perform wudhu and pray. Upon returning from prayer, repeat the same dua that you did in the morning. You can say the dua in your own language; Allah understands all languages.

Please also read the following dua three times in the morning and three times in the evening; it is part of ithkar (remembrance of Allah) of the morning and evening:

Allahumma a’fini fi badani, allahuma a’fini fi sama’i, allahuma a’fini fi basari; allahuma inni a’uthu bika minal-kufri wal-fakr, allahuma inni a’uthu bika min a’thabil-qabr, la ilaha illa ant

Translation:
“Oh Allah make my body healthy, Oh Allah make my vision healthy, Oh Allah make my hearing healthy; Oh Allah, I seek refuge with you against disbelieve, Oh Allah, I seek refuge with you against poverty, there is no God but You”

I hope this helps answer your question.

Salam and please keep in touch.

About Maan Khalife

Maan has many years of experience in dawah work and established the first Muslim cemetery in the state of Arizona. He formerly worked as the Ask About Islam Editor and a consultant.