Short Answer: Allah repeated four times in Surat Al Qamar: “And We have certainly made the Quran easy for remembrance, so is there any who will remember?” [Quran: Chapter 54, Verses 17, 22, 32, 40] To Allah, as long as you’re in the journey, you’re being highly rewarded. His blessings don’t descend upon you only upon finishing; rather, He eases your path and accepts every step. Actually, you finding it difficult means that you will be getting double the reward!
Walaykum Asalam waRahmat Allah Dearest Sister,
First of all, congratulations and may Allah reward you for embarking on such a beautiful, enriching, fulfilling, enlightening journey that is memorizing the noble Quran: the Direct Words of the Lord of the Universe.
What an honour that is. This is the best project to invest in.
The Gems of the Quran
Before we answer your question, I want to remind us all of what the Quran is, and what will benefit the person when he/she sincerely engages with the Quran.
Allah says the Quran is the surest way to guidance:
“This is the Book about which there is no doubt, guidance for those conscious of Allah” (Quran 2: 2)
It is guidance and good tidings to the believers:
“Say, “Whoever is an enemy to Gabriel – it is [none but] he who has brought the Quran down upon your heart, [O Muhammad], by permission of Allah, confirming that which was before it and as guidance and good tidings for the believers.” (Quran 2: 97)
It is guidance and cure:
“It is, for those who believe guidance and cure.” (Quran 41: 44)
It is instruction, healing, guidance and mercy:
“O mankind, there has come to you instruction from your Lord and healing for what is in the breasts and guidance and mercy for the believers.” (Quran 10: 57)
It is light and enlightenment:
“This [Quran] is enlightenment for mankind and guidance and mercy for a people who are certain [in faith].” (Quran 45: 20)
“[…] There has come to you from Allah a light and a clear Book. By which Allah guides those who pursue His pleasure to the ways of peace and brings them out from darknesses into the light, by His permission, and guides them to a straight path.” (Quran 5: 15-16)
So may Allah grant you all the rewards of the Quran, Sister. Ameen.
“We have made the Quran Easy for Remembrance”
Regarding your first question, I’d like to remind us of the promise of Allah Almighty. Allah repeated four times in Surat Al Qamar:
“And We have certainly made the Quran easy for remembrance, so is there any who will remember?” [Quran: Chapter 54, Verses 17, 22, 32, 40]
To Allah, as long as you’re in the journey, you’re being highly rewarded. His blessings don’t descend upon you only upon finishing; rather, He eases your path and accepts every step. Actually, you finding it difficult means that you will be getting double the reward!
Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said,
“The one who is proficient in the recitation of the Quran will be with the honourable and obedient scribes (angels) and he who recites the Quran and finds it difficult to recite, doing his best to recite it in the best way possible, will have a double reward.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
Practical Steps to Memorizing The Quran
- First and foremost you must sincerely seek the help of Allah through earnest daily dua.
- Renew and purify your intention and remind yourself why you do this.
- Make sure your means of sustenance are halal (good and pure and lawful) as Allah is Pure and only accepts the good and pure.
- Please find a qualified Quran teacher. It will be difficult to continue the path on your own as your nafs might weaken you or you might get busy or absorbed in life. You need to find a qualified dedicated Quran teacher who will make a plan according to your capacity, motivate you, remind you, encourage you and follow up with you until completion, insha’Allah. Even after completion, the teacher will give you a plan for revision so you won’t lose what you memorized.
- The teacher must assess your current level in terms of Arabic and Tajweed to see whether you need more help with correcting the tajweed first.
- You can find a teacher through the nearby mosque or Islamic Center, or you can find many qualified and great teachers online as well. Do istikhara and start searching for a teacher. If you need assistance, contact us again for suggestions.
- Ideally and typically, the Quran teacher will explain the tafseer of every surah/juz’ you embark on memorizing. The process of understanding the meaning is included in the process of teaching you the Quran for memorization.
- Among the recommended Tafsir Books are Tafseer al-Tabari and Tafseer Ibn Kathir. You can purchase them or find free copies online. Noting here that the science of tafseer is different from simply reading an approximate translation of the meaning of the Quran. Understand the difference here and here explained by respected scholars.
- Enjoy the process. It is the most rewarding and blessed process. So long as you’re in the journey, you’re in so much goodness and blessings.
Please note that there are many recommended ways to memorize and revise the Quran. However, it is important that everyone follows what suits them and their ability/capacity best. This is why a teacher will help you determine what memorization plan is best suited for your level.
An Honorable Reward for Memorizing the Quran
Before we end, I want to remind you of one of the rewards of memorizing the Quran, as mentioned in this blessed hadith:
Narrated Abu Hurairah: that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
“The one who memorized the Quran shall come on the Day of Judgment and (the reward for reciting the Quran) says: ‘O Lord! Decorate him.” So he is donned with a crown of nobility. Then it says: “O Lord! Give him more!’ So he is donned with a suit of nobility. Then it says: “O Lord! Be pleased with him.’ So He is pleased with him and says: “Recite and rise up, and be increased in reward with every Ayah.'” [Jami` at-Tirmidhi]
May Allah grant you and all of us this reward. Ameen.
I hope this helps.
Salam and please keep in touch.
Please continue feeding your curiosity, and find more info in the following links: